"These results challenge conventional assumptions... and put an entirely different focus on the severity of the condition and how desperately people are seeking freedom from symptoms."
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common yet puzzling medical diagnosis. It poses tremendous challenges to those who are diagnosed with it and live with it every day, as well as families, physicians, employers, and insurers.
To shed light on this disorder, the International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders (IFFGD) sponsored and collaborated with the University of North Carolina (UNC) Center for Functional GI and Motility Disorders to conduct a comprehensive online survey; IBS Patients: Their Illness Experience and Unmet Needs.
It's Worth The Risk To Get Relief, IBS Patients Say
- The survey findings show that much more needs to be done to develop and deliver satisfactory treatment to IBS sufferers.
- The respondents in this report provide a profile of their illness experience and how it impacts their lives.
- They describe their search for symptom relief and the risks they might assume to achieve that relief.
- The findings in this report have important implications for health care, health care delivery, and the personal and economic costs associated with IBS.
About the Survey
The survey began in the second half of 2007: 1,966 qualifying responses were received over four months during the 2007 period covered in this report. The survey is still ongoing. Over 5,000 people have completed it to date. We thank all the respondents who participated.
- If you have IBS, we invite you to participate in this ongoing comprehensive study »
IFFGD is a nonprofit education and research organization. Our mission is to inform, assist, and support people affected by gastrointestinal disorders.
Our original content is authored specifically for IFFGD readers, in response to your questions and concerns.
If you found this article helpful, please consider supporting IFFGD with a small tax- deductible donation.
Last modified on October 9, 2014 at 02:32:33 PM